Tuesday, April 25, 2017

You Can Still Teach With a Broken Heart


No matter what happens in the Fordham health care crisis, I am not retiring any time soon. I have taught 47 years at Fordham and will not be pushed out by people whose vision of the university contradicts everything I have tried to impart in my students- integrity, compassion, freedom of expression, a determination to listen to the voices of the marginalized and the powerless.
But if my colleagues want to leave I will not try to stop them. Nor will I try to recruit talented scholars and teachers to make Fordham their home.
I will be here for my students and former students the way I have always been. And I will speak out on every issue my conscience impels me to as I have always done.
But I will not pretend that my Fordham is still the school I have given the best years of my life to
I am here for my students and the people of the Bronx
That's it.